The chicken wire that surrounded my bucket garden may have been stolen, the tomatoes have passed their prime-- no longer providing fruit, the remaining Swiss chard (now unprotected) was torn apart by critters and the last of the lettuce was fried by the last heat wave. But I still got it.
If there is one thing that many humans are too stupid to steal it is a short green, fairly plain looking plant.
If there is one thing that animals cannot stand to eat it is a bitter treat.
A whole bucket of arugula is the lone survivor of my summer city gardening experiment. Without roof, without balcony, without anything more than chicken wire and two feet of semi-sunny pavement between the outside world and five buckets, I did quite well for myself: (tango and lollo) lettuce and tomatoes, White Hailstone Radish, and some Swiss chard (back in the chicken wire protection days).
In hopes of a possible garden resurgence I sprinkled the remaining arugula and radish seeds over the cleared buckets. Both vegetables prefer cooler days so hopefully the turn of weather will keep the growth alive. Until then, I’ll be dreaming about this sweet and bitter late-season salad.
ARUGULA PEACH SALAD
Serving Size= 2 persons. Active time= about 10 minutes.
* 2 handfuls fresh arugula
* 1 ear fresh corn, kernels cut off ear
* 1 fresh peach, cut into 8 wedges
* 1 handful green beans
* 2 Kalamata olives
* fresh Parmesan shavings
* apple cider vinegar
* juice of 1 lime
* salt/ pepper to taste
1) In a medium pan on medium heat, warm 2 tsp olive oil. Once warm, add shaved corn kernels and green beans. Sauté about 4 minutes; until corn and green beans darken.
2) Add beans and corn over bed of arugula.
3) Toss peach wedges over top, add olives and Parmesan shavings.
4) Just before serving, whisk together apple cider vinegar and lime juice. Pour over top and top with fresh pepper and salt to taste.
The City Gardener #10
The City Gardener #9
The City Gardener #8
The City Gardener #7
The City Gardener #6
The City Gardener #5
The City Gardener #4
The City Gardener #3
The City Gardener #2
The City Gardener